view sourceprint? 01 Ramblings from a Ranch Wife: Hot Dogs

Random Thought:

"The darkest nights produce the brightest stars"
~


Monday, January 13, 2014

Hot Dogs

I'm sitting here trying to plan out what to cook for dinner tonight.  I have to be in town on Wednesday, so I really don't want to run to the store today.  Pickings are getting kind of slim around here!  I hate to go to the grocery store more than once a week, and I never really plan my meals more than like 3 hours in advance.  So often (like today) I am craving something food wise and lack half the ingredients I need to prepare it.  Terrible I know.  

The Cowboss pointed out that we do have hot dogs.  I hate hot dogs.  I really don't like most sausages either, but love chorizos.  Go figure.  In fact, I very rarely, if ever buy hot dogs.  Unfortunately I made the comment to QT the other day that it was his half birthday, so for the last week he has been planning his birthday party (in June mind you). He wants a camping birthday party, complete with friends sleeping over, hot dogs, and roasting marshmallows.  I thought if I made him hot dogs he would forget about it, but no such luck, and I still have half a package of hot dogs left over....I just might cook them tonight!  Waste not want not, right?

Did you know:

The average American eats 50 hot dogs a year.  (Except for me, I'm way below average apparently)!

Hot dogs were the first food eaten on the moon.  Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin j.r. ate them on their 1969 Apollo flight.  (Really?  If I just landed on the moon, hot dogs would not be on my list of culinary delights)!

Hot dogs were served with bread for the first time in 1893.  (About time)!

President Franklin Roosevelt served King George VI of England hot dogs & beer during a White House visit in 1939. Mrs. Jimmy Carter served hot dogs at a White House picnic in 1977. Queen Elizabeth II served hot dogs at a royal banquet held for the American Bar Association.  (Our tax dollars at work.  Man we sure know how to impress people, don't we)?


7-Eleven sells the most hot dogs annually.  Also, people in the south eat more hot dogs than in the north.  I also learned that socioeconomic status makes no difference when it comes to hot dogs.  (Who would have thought)?!

If I had a fully stocked kitchen though, I would really love some Barbecued Spare Ribs. Pork ribs are one of my absolute favorite foods in the whole wide world, and my grandma Ada Rose shared with me one of the best recipes for BBQ Sauce.  I came across it today while trying to figure out what to cook.  I can actually smell it right now and taste it.  I think it would be pretty good on pork chops, or even chicken.  Reminds me, I need to add ribs to the grocery list!

Barbecued Spare Ribs:

Boil or brown spare ribs, drain, and cover with sauce.

Sauce:
3/4 c. catsup
1/2 c. water
1 T. dry mustard
1 T. celery seed
1 1/2 T. vinegar
1 T. sugar
1 T. Worcestershire sauce
Dash of cayenne pepper

Mix together and pour over ribs.  Bake at 325* until done.  Stir if necessary.




1 comment:

  1. I'll take the ribs over a hot dog any day! 50 dogs a year? I eat maybe 5 a year!

    ReplyDelete