view sourceprint? 01 Ramblings from a Ranch Wife: My Favorite Pictures From September

Random Thought:

"The darkest nights produce the brightest stars"
~


Wednesday, October 26, 2011

My Favorite Pictures From September

The Elko County Fair is my favorite time of year.  It's always been the last big hoorah before going back to school.  It also means that haying is done, and being a rancher, we have a little bit of down time before shipping calves and beginning our fall works.  Fair time is fun time, until it isn't fun anymore, and I think this little girl had her limit!


Here the Cowboss and his help our moving some heifers down the road.  Everyone is relaxed and going along.  you would never imagine just minutes before these same heifers had crashed a gate and mixed with some others!



I love how curious yearlings are.  We needed to weigh these girls, and I was kneeling just outside the corral, waiting for the cowboys to get everything through the gate.  I have the feeling that if I would have waited just a little bit longer before taking this picture, I could have got a nose on my camera lens.  TR thinks it is great fun to lay down in the pasture and wait until these heifers are right next to him trying to figure out what he is, then jump up!




Why  is she hiding behind the tire you ask?  Because that is where all good cow dogs wait while processing cattle through a chute, especially if that is where their masters sweatshirt happens to be laying!  GiGi is a "Border Rat," and while she may not know why she is chasing cows, she does chase cows, but more importantly she is loyal!




This is my favorite bit.  I love the Santa Barbara cheek pieces, and my horse likes the mouth piece.  It isnt' anything spectacular, but I like it!  These are the first pair of rawhide reins the Cowboss braided.  He thinks they are hideous, but they are mine and I will use them if I want to!


A group of my friends and I have a project we have been working on since May.  We call is P365, and our goal is to take 1 picture everyday of the year.  We have weekly assignments to keep us inspired and give each other lots of feed back on the pictures we are taking.  These are some of my favorites from September.


3 comments:

  1. Those are some great pictures Jen. I think it would be fun to lay in the pasture and scare the cows too...=)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the bit and yearling are so much fun to mess with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Alicia! I have pretty good subjects, most days!

    I love running yearlings. Everyday is a fun new adventure Jake!

    ReplyDelete