view sourceprint? 01 Ramblings from a Ranch Wife: Heaven!

Random Thought:

"The darkest nights produce the brightest stars"
~


Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Heaven!

One of my wicked indulgences are blogs.  Most mornings (children permitting!), I like to spend a few minutes reading what other people are doing.  I particularly like food blogs, and craft blogs.  The other morning I came across this recipe for Strawberry and Chocolate Nachos on Our Best Bites.  The name alone had me!



Here is what you need:
Flour tortillas
Butter
Cinnamon
Sugar
Strawberries
Mint
Chocolate Chips
Crisco
Whipped Cream

First, you need to preheat your oven to 350*.  I always overlook this step, then have to sit and twiddle my thumbs for 10 minutes waiting to put something in the oven while it heats.

Next, spread melted butter on your tortilla.  I melted it in the microwave and used a pastry brush.


Then, you sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar.  I keep a shaker on the counter with cinnamon and sugar already mixed together because TR and QT love Cinnamon toast!



After sprinkling the cinnamon and sugar, take a pizza cutter and cut into wedges.  I cut mine into eighths because I thought they looked pretty.  Imagine though, for valentines day you could cut them into hearts with a heart cookie cutter!  Wouldn't they be fun as cactus?  I'm just going to toss that one out there.




I think I did 4 tortillas, and I probably should have made more.  Put all of the tortillas onto a cookie sheet.  I think it is best to do them in a single layer, so think about multiple cookie sheets, or in batches.  I didn't, and some of the chips weren't as crisp as I would have liked them.  Be sure you place them sugar side up!



Bake for 10-12 minutes, until crisp.  The edges will start to turn up.  I made the accident of leaving mine on the stove to cool after coming out of the oven.  15 minutes later my boys (and I'm not naming names here, Cow Boss included), had half of the chips ate.  See why I should have made more than 4 tortillas?!!



I diced the strawberries and added some fresh mint from my garden to make it look like salsa.  I also added some sugar to sweeten it a little.



This is 30 minutes after being in the fridge.  I like to let the sugar dissolve and let the mint and strawberry flavors mesh. 




These are all the chips I had left. 


Sprinkle strawberries over the chips.




Melt about chocolate chips in the microwave.  I used milk chocolate chips because that is what I like.  I also added about 1 teaspoon of Crisco to the melted chips to help them drizzle better.  Drizzle the chocolate over the strawberries and chips.



Finally, add some whipped cream and enjoy!


1 comment:

  1. I have really enjoyed your blog every day...but I may be gaining too much trying all your recipes. LOL However, this one is 'healthy' because of the mint and strawberries. I'll use dark chocolate and pretend it is good for me. Thanks! I have made the 'chips' for my kids for after school snacks before and made different dips for them. Gene will love these nachos!

    ReplyDelete