view sourceprint? 01 Ramblings from a Ranch Wife: Egg Pancakes

Random Thought:

"The darkest nights produce the brightest stars"
~


Friday, February 4, 2011

Egg Pancakes



My mom has chickens (these are not her chickens).  I do not.  Like my first born, "CHICKENS....MAKE...ME....ANGRY!"  Well, maybe not that extreme, seeing a chicken doesn't make me mad, and the fact that they say "BOCKATCHOOO" as TR says doesn't bother me all that much either.  I just don't like the work involved.  They are nasty, stinky animals, that when confined together may turn cannibalistic.  Not my thing.  Besides that my mom has kept me in supply of eggs, often more than I need. 


I do prefer farm fresh eggs to store bought eggs. On a side note, I prefer my chicken like this.  Roasted with vegetables.  But I digress!
My mom called me the other day and said "Do you want some eggs?  I have no room in my fridge and need to get rid of some."  Of course I'll take some eggs.  One of the perks of having a mom with chickens, right?  She said she would leave them at my grandma's house, she would send enough for me and my friend Norma.  Great, because I was down to 1 dozen eggs, and I really really hate buying eggs at the grocery store.

When I got to my grandma's she told me that she still had a bunch of eggs from the last time my mom came to town, so she didn't need any and gave me 8 dozen eggs.  What in the world does a person do with 8 dozen eggs (technically 9 if you count the dozen I already had)!  Fortunately my friend Norma took 4 dozen eggs.  That was Wednesday.

I still have 48 eggs in my fridge today.  But I have made a dent in them, and this is how:  Egg Pancakes!  I found this recipe in the Party Line New Generation Cookbook, by the Jackson Mountain Homemakers Club.  This recipe was submitted by Debra Giordano, and it is super good!

Ingredients:
1 stick of butter
1 c. flour
1 c. milk
4 eggs

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  Melt 1/2 stick of butter in a glass pie plate.  (I put the butter and pie plate in the oven while it is preheating, and it melts the butter for me)!  Melt the other 1/2 stick of butter.  (I melt it in a glass 4 c. measuring cup, because I can mix everything in it and not get any other dishes dirty).  Add milk, flour, and eggs.  Mix well.  Pour into pie plate. 
Bake for 15-20 minutes or golden brown.  It puffs up beautifully, and is delicious with homemade Strawberry Freezer Jam.  Of course I did some tweaking of my own and added 1 tsp. vanilla, and sprinkled the top with cinnamon.  It is easy and filling.  =)

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment