view sourceprint? 01 Ramblings from a Ranch Wife: Classing Yearlings in Mountain City

Random Thought:

"The darkest nights produce the brightest stars"
~


Friday, August 13, 2010

Classing Yearlings in Mountain City

Well, I have not been very diligent about my blog this summer, and it isn't for lack of content!  It seems like I just run and run, and can't seem to get everything done!  Now, fair is just around the corner!

A couple of days ago I went to Mountain City to help my mom and dad class some yearlings to ship to American Falls tomorrow.  I didn't tell the boys where I was going, just that I was going to go to work, and they would have to go to the babysitter.  TR sure thought he needed to go to work with me.  I was explaining to him how he didn't want to go to work with me, my boss is a slave driver!  I told him there would be no cartoons or pink chocolate milk, just work because mom's boss is a slave driver.  In true TR form, he looked up at me and said "But mom...You aren't a slave driver."  I think he has me all figured out!  I can't wait until both TR and QT are big enough to come and help horseback on these easy days.

Things have changed a lot on the home ranch since I left.  I was only there about 30 minutes before my brother and I had something roped and stretched out!  Growing up, we never roped anything outside if it needed to be doctored.  We trailed them home and ran them through the chute.  I think a lot of that was because my dad had 3 great cowboys, but they weren't much for roping outside of the branding trap, and heading and heeling a 650 calf is a lot different from heeling a 100 baby calf.  Then you throw the fact that my dad is left handed into the mix, and you have a potential wreck, when you are 12 years old and trying to rope with him!

We had to wait on the scale man, so we didn't get as early of a start as we wanted to get to work classing the yearlings.  Then we had a heck of a time getting them corralled.  We got them classed though, and the lights kicked back out and the heavies trailed home, so they should be set for tomorrow.  I had a great day and wish I lived closer and had a full time nanny so I could help them more often!

No comments:

Post a Comment