view sourceprint? 01 Ramblings from a Ranch Wife: Curled Up With a Book

Random Thought:

"The darkest nights produce the brightest stars"
~


Sunday, February 9, 2014

Curled Up With a Book

I see a lot of people who are critical of Kindles, Nooks, pretty much any type of e-reader. Nothing beats the feel of a book in your hands, and the smell of the ink in it.  I admitt, I used to be one.  I love to read.  Nothing makes me happier than a good book, a cup of tea and 30 minutes quiet to enjoy it.  I have been like this ever since I learned how to read.

A year ago in December I bought myself the best gift ever.  I bought a kindle.  My whole perspective changed.  You see, the closest Barns and Noble or really pretty much any kind of bookstore is a good 4-5 hour drive away.  My library consisted of what I found at WalMart, or the grocery store.  Not a very great selection.  I ordered books off of Amazon, but generally paid more in shipping than the book was worth, then had to wait (impatiently) by the mailbox for them to arrive.  Don't get me started on the 2 big boxes of books in my basement, or the filled in bookcases in my house.  I even resorted to mailing nearly every book I read to my friend in Montana, whether she wanted them or not!  Now, I have books at my fingertips.  Finished a book, no problem, hop on Amazon and download another one.  Plus I don't have books lying everywhere!

Granted, a kindle does have it's drawbacks.  For one, I haven't figured out how to jump ahead to the end if a book is really intense and I need a little reassurance that it will end the way I think it should (I know, I'm one of those people), and I can't jump ahead a chapter or two if I'm not really getting into the book to see if it gets any better.  But, I don't have to wait a week for a new book to arrive, or am limited to grocery store romance novels.

Currently, I am reading Shadowland:  A Tale From the Dark Ages by C.M. Gray.  (You can download it from Amazon here). I'm not even sure why I picked it, it's not really my forte as far as books go, but I loved Eagle of the Ninth, and it is similar.   I signed up for an online newsletter that sends deals on books to my inbox everyday, and it probably came across that way.  I am fascinated by it.  It's pretty good.


amazon.com
The gist of it:
We grow up with the Legend of King Arthur ... But where did he come from? Who was Merlin? What part did the Druids play in bringing Arthur to his round table? This is the story that came before, when Britain was just a Shadowland.

Shadowland is a story of historical fantasy set in Dark Ages Britain.

`I have lived more years than I can remember, probably more than the sum of all your years combined. Kings have called me friend and brigands have sworn to burn the flesh from my bones even if they have to search all seven halls of the shadowland to find me.'

On the night of midwinter's eve, a storyteller takes his listeners back to the Dark ages and a tale from his youth.

Deserted by its Roman masters, Britain has been invaded by the Saxons at the invitation of Vortigern, traitorous leader of the Britons. Now, as the tribes unite to reclaim their land, one man must rise to lead them and become their true and only king.


What is on your Kindle this week?


No comments:

Post a Comment