view sourceprint? 01 Ramblings from a Ranch Wife: Leftovers

Random Thought:

"The darkest nights produce the brightest stars"
~


Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Leftovers

The Cow Boss is not a fan of leftovers.  Honestly?  It blows my mind.  In college, and while single I would make enchiladas, spaghetti, meatloaf, pretty much any kind of casserole or roast and that would feed me for a week.  Breakfast, lunch, and dinner.  It was wonderful. 

I can usually serve something twice, and after that, he will sneak what is left out to the dogs, or flat out refuse to eat it.  It is really hard for me because I feel like we are wasting something, and I hate that.  Especially when I am trying to save every penny I can.  So I have had to get sneaky.  Part of my problem is that I have never learned how to cook for just 2 people.  Growing up, there was never fewer than 5 people at any meal, and really, with the Cow Boss, boys, and I, we just don't eat enough to feed 3 people at a meal!

One of my favorite things to do with leftover meat is to hide them in beans.  The Cow Boss loves beans (me, not so much!).  I will put left over taco meat, Swiss steak, BBQ pork chops, you name it.  Pretty much anything that has a tomato type sauce with it.

The other day I baked a spiral ham we got for Christmas.  It was pretty good, but after 2 days of ham for lunch and dinner I knew I was pushing my luck.  I also made my grandma's recipe for Potato's Chantilly.

The next night I made a pasta dish similar to Straw and Hay.

What you need:
1 Tbsp. Oil
Leftover Ham, diced
1/2 onion, diced
1 small can of mushrooms
Heavy Whipping Cream
Salt and Pepper to taste
Cooked Pasta

What you do:
Boil water and cook Pasta.  In a cast iron skillet (because everything tastes better cooked in cast iron!), heat oil and cook onion.  Add ham and mushrooms and heat until warmed through.  Add Heavy Whipping Cream (enough to make a decent sauce) and cook until thickened.  Add to drained pasta and season to taste.

Tomorrow I plan to make a split pea soup with dumplings with the ham bone and remaining ham.  I love split pea soup.  Let's hope my crew does too!

I am most proud of my dinner tonight though.  I made breakfast burritos (crazy for supper I know!).  I cooked 1/2 diced onion in a couple of tablespoons of oil.  Added leftover Potato's Chantilly and diced ham.  Then added to 8 eggs and 2 tbsp. cream and scrambled together.  Then I took tortillas and put 1/2 tbsp plain Greek Yogurt in center and spread.  Next I added 1 tbsp. salsa, 2 sliced of avocado, 1/4 c. of egg mixture and 1/2 slice of American Cheese, and folded like a burrito.  They were pretty tasty, and I had enough leftover to make 1/2 dozen more breakfast burritos.  Don't worry, I will freeze them for later!

How do you like to use leftovers?

2 comments:

  1. I firmly believe in leftovers. I come from a family of 6 - I feel your pain in trying to scale down dinner. I lucked out Wade is not picky about leftovers. I like to roast chicken and then use the leftovers in everything from soup to Mexican dishes. I've never used Greek Yogurt in burritos. Sounds yummy to me!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Greek Yogurt. It tastes a lot like sour cream to me and I use it as such! =)

      Delete