view sourceprint? 01 Ramblings from a Ranch Wife: Hamburger Biscuit Roll

Random Thought:

"The darkest nights produce the brightest stars"
~


Monday, November 25, 2013

Hamburger Biscuit Roll

Today is Meat Eater Monday!  I am eating leftover Hamburger Biscuit Rolls for breakfast, and let me tell you, they are heaven in your mouth!  I need to do laundry, school work, and get something figured out for dinner tonight. I am overwhelmed, in a funk, and fighting a headache.  I am drowning my sorrows in carbs and comfort foods.  For me, beef is a comfort food.  It just makes me feel better about things, and I can justify eating half a pan of these beef rolls because they have to be better for you than Twinkies, right?

It blows my mind when my college students tell me that they can't cook.  I want to grab them by the shoulders, look them straight in the eye and ask "Can you read?"  Frankly, cooking is easy.  As long as you can read and have an oven that works, you should be able to cook.  I grew up in a family of wonderful cooks, and remember being not much older than my sons helping my mom and cousin Margie baking cookies and things like that.  Not only are my family wonderful cooks, our entire community are wonderful cooks.  They've published 3 cookbooks and they are my go to whenever I need to make something and I'm not sure quite where to start.

All 3 Mountain City Homemaker Cookbooks
As you can tell, mine are well used.  I have a rubber band holding the first one together, and half of the binding is missing from the 3rd cookbook.  Today's recipe comes from the 2nd cookbook.  It is so easy, it's almost embarrassing!

Hamburger Biscuit Roll

Ingredients:
1 lb ground beef
1/2 c. chopped onion
2 tbsp. green pepper
2 tbsp. mayonnaise
2 tbsp. catsup 
3/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
1 3gg

Biscuit Dough:
2 c. Flour
4 tbsp. shortening
3/4 tsp. salt
4 tsp. baking powder
3/4 c. milk

Gravy:
1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup
1/2 cup milk

Directions:
Make biscuit dough (you can substitute Bisquick biscuits and make one batch).  Roll out dough in a 12"x18" sheet. 


I wouldn't recommend using your canvass rolling sheet like I did.  The next step involves putting raw hamburger directly onto the sheet, never a good idea unless you wash your rolling pin and sheet everytime you use it.

Next, mix ground beef and remaining ingredients, excluding gravy.


I used the same bowl I mixed the dough in because I am lazy like that and hate, hate, hate washing dishes!  Spread meat mixture on to dough.


Roll up like a cinnamon roll and cut into 12 pieces.  Before cutting them, I moved them to a cutting board.  




Place in a greased baking pan and bake about 40 minutes at 350*.


Just before removing from the oven, combine soup and milk in a small sauce pan and bring almost to a boil.


Pour over rolls and serve hot!


They are so easy, and tasty, even TR and QT liked them!  I served them with a simple green salad with a sweet and tangy dressing and canned green beans.


Forgive my pictures, they are really bad!  

What kind of meat are you enjoying today?










No comments:

Post a Comment