view sourceprint? 01 Ramblings from a Ranch Wife: Meat Eater Monday....I've been slacking!

Random Thought:

"The darkest nights produce the brightest stars"
~


Monday, June 17, 2013

Meat Eater Monday....I've been slacking!

I honestly have no idea what happened to May, and just realized June is half over.  Time flies when you are having fun, right?  We spent last month finishing up school and getting everything branded.  Branding is my favorite time of the year!  I started using a new horse that I think I am going to love, and I got a few good pictures of our ranch brandings.  Now just to find some time to get them off my camera, onto my computer and edited.  Never enough hours in the day!

This is a recipe I found on the internet awhile back, but not sure where it came from, and I have tweaked it somewhat to my own taste.  It is pretty good though, and feeds a bunch, so give it a try!

Cowboy Dinner

Beef Mixture:
2 lbs. Ground Beef
1 large Onion, diced
1 tsp. Salt
1/2 tsp. Pepper
1 1/2 c. Salsa
15 oz can of Black Beans
1 1/2 c. Shredded Cheddar Cheese

Cornbread Topping:
1 1/2 c. Flour
2/3 c. Sugar
1/2 c. Corn Meal
1 Tbsp. Baking Powder
1/2 tsp. Salt
1 1/4 c. Milk
2 Large Eggs, beaten
1/3 c. Vegetable Oil
3 Tbsp. Butter Melted

1.  Preheat Oven to 375*.  Lightly grease a 9x13" pan.
2.  In a large skillet, brown beef and onion.  Remove from heat and stir in remaining Beef Mixture (minus cheese) ingredients.  Pour into 9x13" pan.
3.  Combine Flour, Sugar, Corn Meal, Baking Powder, and Salt in a medium bowl.  Combine Milk, Eggs, Vegetable Oil, and Butter in a small bowl; mix well.  Add to flour mixture; stir just until blended.
4.  Sprinkle cheese over beef and pour cornbread over the cheese.  Spread to edges of the pan.
5.  Bake for 40-45 minutes, until the edges are bubbly and cornbread is cooked through.


1 comment: