view sourceprint? 01 Ramblings from a Ranch Wife: Day Working For Wages

Random Thought:

"The darkest nights produce the brightest stars"
~


Thursday, August 11, 2011

Day Working For Wages


I have been a little remiss in my blogging this summer.  Honestly, I don't even know where July went.  One day it was here, then the next thing I knew it was the middle of August!  These last 2 weeks have been pretty good.  The Cow Boss's "helper guy" as TR calls him went to California for 7 days, so yours truly has been filling in for him.  I've spent most of that time in the saddle (minus a wedding) helping doctor and take care of the yearlings.

I have to admit I've enjoyed the heck out of it.  Reminded me of the days when We first got married, before having kids and I was on the cowboy crew full time.  Waking up early this morning to not get on a horse was kind of depressing!


The highlight of my week hands down was yesterday, and would you believe me if I told you we didn't even rope anything?!! 

The reason it was so great was because I got to take TR with me.  It was the second solo ride he's made pushing cows, and he did awesome!  I can't even begin to describe the emotions I went through watching my little man sit a horse and go.  Of course there were lots of bad guys that needed shooting, and a mom that needed rescuing more than once, but to hear his maniacal laughter and look back to see him trotting for all he was worth made my heart so happy.




At 4, his feet don't quite reach the stirrups, and from a distance you can't even tell there is a boy in the saddle.  We are very fortunate to have a good old horse for him to ride.  "Marty" is a pretty good babysitter.  I did have to take the romal off of his reins, and wont let him have any spurs yet, but he thinks he's ready to start day working!  You know, he just may be.



Proof I was there horseback!  That's my little cowboy turning the bulls off the fence.  Such a trooper, he never complained once, and when we got back to the trailer he told us we could "drive the pickup home and I'll just ride Marty."



I looked up at one point, and there he was pushing the bulls, just like he did it every day.  Mom better be careful or she may not have a job here before too long!



The Cow Boss didn't get to ride with TR like I did, somebody had to work!  Every time we met up with him he had a big grin on his face.  He's been waiting as long as I have (more patiently I might add!) for TR to be big enough to ride with us.




The only thing that would have made my day more perfect would be to have another kids horse and QT riding on the other side of the Cow Boss!


No comments:

Post a Comment